Episode 81: Sandbag training expert Josh Henkin on the benefits of dynamic variable resistance training
Josh Henkin (http://ultimatesandbagtraining.com/) is the creator of the Ultimate Sandbag Training System & DVRT (Dynamic Variable Resistance Training). For nearly a decade, Josh has been on the forefront of utilizing sandbag training as the go-to tool for improving rotational movement, enhancing other fitness and sports-specific training, as well as a great tool for fat loss, improving stability, strength, and power. Josh teaches his DVRT system around the globe, and has found great success in creating a training tool that has stood the test of time, in an industry full of gimmicks and snake-oil salesmen.
During this episode of the LLApodcast, Josh shares the following:
- Josh explains how and why he created his latest book on sandbag training and how he partnered with Dragon Door
- Josh shares the ups and downs of creating his Ultimate Sandbag System
- Although Josh's sandbags were not the first, Josh shares why his sandbags are much better than the "poor man's" homemade Home Depot sandbag
- What exactly is DVRT and why it is not necessarily just "sandbag training"
- Josh shares what type of feedback he's experienced from trainers and trainees over the years, compared to other types of training that features sandbags and other training implements
- How much of Josh's own training is based on sandbag training
- How does training with Josh's DVRT translate to other training goals such as powerlifting, olympic lifting, football, etc. and how DVRT can help athletes improve in those areas
- Josh shares how much inspiration he received from Brooks Kubik's writings on sandbag training and how what he created is different
- What are the common problems Josh sees in the kettlebell community and how does his DVRT system serve as a compliment to kettlebell training
- How are sandbags ideal for rotational movement, compared to other training implements
- How do Ultimate sandbags compare to Bulgarian bags and why the rotational movements are different
- Why the ultimate sandbag is the perfect tool to carry on any trip, no matter what the weight
- Why is the ultimate sandbag a highly favored training tool in countries such as Japan
- Why is the ultimate sandbag system is not as popular in the Crossfit community
- What was Josh's response to his Ultimate Sandbag system being feature on The Biggest Loser, as well as how his system has been received by the general population
- What does Josh & the character Keller from the TV show "Oz" have in common, and how was an incident in the restroom w/ Steve Maxwell connected by this comparison
- Josh shares his opinions of the current RKC, and what he likes and what changes he would still lik e to see in the organization
or subscribe, download, rate & review us at:
Also, be sure to "like" and connect with us on our Facebook fan page at http://facebook.com/llapodcast.