Episode 67: MMA legend Bas Rutten on all things fighting and the benefits of the 02 trainer
Bas Rutten is a retired mixed martial artist (MMA), Karate and Taekwondo blackbelt, and Muay Thai kickboxer. He was a UFC Heavyweight Champion, a three-time King of Pancrase world champion, and finished his career on a 22 fight unbeaten streak (21 wins, 1 draw).
He is currently the co-host of Inside MMA on AXS.TV and made a memorable performance in the movie, "Here Comes The Boom" with co-star and avid MMA fan and practioner, Kevin James.
Rutten is known for his charisma and has capitalized on his celebrity status since retiring from fighting in 1999. He has worked as a color commentator in several MMA organizations, including Pride, and has appeared in numerous television shows, movies, and video games. Bas also coaches MMA, has authored several instructional materials, and is the creator of the 02 Trainer (http://www.o2trainer.com/)
- "El Guapo" joins Sincere and Mike to discuss:
- How did Bas transition from MMA to Hollywood
- Bas describes his relationship with actor Kevin James
- What prompted Bas to leave the world of competing in MMA, & was it on is own terms
- Why going hard in training is a problem & what is the best route
- What did Bas have to say about MMA star Tito Ortiz and what he "really" thinks about Tito
- What situation was a true testament of Bas's mental toughness
- What is the "real" story behind Bas's signature "liver shot"
- What's Bas's opinion on the "training game" vs. the "fighting game"
- What steps did Bas utilize to improve his ground game
- What can you learn from Bas about focus and obsession
- Why were the Japanese bowing down to Bas
- Bas shares why you should never argue with idiots and what they use, in order to win every time
- Bas shares how many martial arts instructors get it wrong in terms of prepping their students for street defense
- What is the most important aspect in learning from Bas's instructor course
- Why Bas supports situations in which kids need to fail
- Bas shares what he feels is the optimal approach for a combat fighter in regards to training and conditioning
- Bas shares how you can increase your push up numbers in a short amount of time
- What's the importance of active recovery between training sets & how you can benefit from it in your current training program
- How did Bas come up with the concept of his O2 trainer
- What is Bas's connection with Bruce Jenner (& it has noting to do with ponytails, plastic surgery, & "krazy" Armenian women
- Bas makes his prediction for the Jon Jones /Glover Teixeira match up
- What upcoming movie project can you find Bas & what does it have to do with Las Vegas