ASC Episode 8: Elite strength coach and Strongman legend Mark Philippi on training in his 50s, deadlift performance, and intermittent fasting
Everyone who matters considers Mark to be one of the best strength coaches in the game and in my opinion he is the best! I had the pleasure of training under his tutelage for several months back in 2010 and it was a transformative experience. He is most well known for being a strongman competitor and winning a deadlift competition at the Arnold Classic with an over 900lbs lift!
Here is what we discussed:
- Deadlifting with a very stiff bar vs a bar with a "whip"
- The benefits of wearing a belt when deadlifting and why it is most beneficial for more advanced trainees.
- Do deficit deadlifts transfer over to regular deadlifts and why it works best for those who deadlift with a pronounced leg drive.
- Why sprinting improves strength -
- Does using a roar on heavy lifts actually help or is it ostentatious theatrics?
- When Mark makes time for training after a 12-hour workday
- Mark's version of intermittent fasting
- Why our slogan during the pandemic should have been "Get healthy for Nevada"