1. Keep training sessions under an hour (Does not include warm-ups and stretching afterward). Longer workouts deplete testosterone and growth hormone which is why many training addicts have an abysmal libido and low energy.
If you have noticed your sex drive is non-existent it is time to take a week off from intense training. Stay active and go for a hike, get a massage, catch up on sleep and get ready to feel rejuvenated and ready to attack training goals.
2. Insulin sensitivity is crucial for hormone optimization as insulin is a master control hormone and when it is not working it has a negative impact on sex hormones as well as growth hormone production.
Take longer stretches in between meals (4-6 hours), add 1/2 a teaspoon of cinnamon to protein shakes, cook with turmeric, and eat a balance of protein, low glycemic carbs, and healthy fats at every meal. Supplements which help with insulin sensitivity include Berberine, Mucuna Pruriens, Shilajit, R-Lipoic Acid, Cinnamon, and Magnesium.
3. Follow top strength coach Charles Poliquin’s lead and start each morning with a lime and sea salt drink. Squeeze one lime in 12oz of distilled or filtered water and add 1/4 teaspoon of Himalayan sea salt. This is a powerful beverage to nourish your adrenals and thyroid.
4. Avoid alcohol consumption. According to Dr. Thierry Hertoghe, a highly respected hormone optimization experts, just one glass of alcohol can lower growth hormone by as much as 75%. Moderate alcohol consumption is not healthy, and there is no dose of alcohol that is not harmful. Don’t kid yourself thinking that wine is a good source of resveratrol.
5. Improve digestion and gut health. If you have poor gut health and digestion, then you’re not deriving optimal nutrition from the food you eat and will not have the energy to thrive and induce optimal hormone production and balance. Avoiding overly processed foods devoid of any nutritional value will help a great deal. Taking longer stretches in between meals will also be beneficial. Also, a high-quality probiotic is a smart investment. I use and recommend the following Probiotic recommendation
6. Take some advice from Dr. Eric Braverman and add spices to all of your meals to transform them into super meals. If you consume smoothies, try adding cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, or pumpkin pie spice. For cooked meals try oregano, basil, turmeric, garlic, thyme, paprika, and cayenne.
7. To mitigate estrogen dominance, drink several cups of green tea daily, cook with turmeric, and consume several servings of cruciferous vegetables.
8. If you wake up with low energy and then have high energy late at night you have an imbalanced cortisol curve and need to flip it. Licorice taken in the morning and afternoon will increase morning and afternoon cortisol so that it is lower in the evening and does not impede sleep. Much of sleep issues are due to late night cortisol surges. Your cortisol is depleted all day and then finally kicks in late at night when you should be getting ready to sleep. Licorice supplement recommendation