James Wilks (http://jameslightningwilks.com/) is a former UFC welterweight & winner of season 9 of The Ultimate Fighter. James currently runs his gym, Lightning MMA in Laguna Hill, CA., and is currently finishing his new documentary, “The Gamechangers,” which focuses on a different view on thriving via a plant-based diet.
During episode #36 of the Live Life Aggressively podcast, James joins Mike & Sincere to discuss:
- James shares how he got started in mixed martial arts and how he found his way onto & winning The Ultimate Fighter reality show
- James discusses the ups and downs of living in The Ultimate Fighter house, & what happens in the house, that folks don’t see on T.V.
- What was James’s pre-fight ritual and how was it a positive and negative for him
- James shares the financial challenges of pro MMA fighters
- What lead to James’s retirement from competing, how he transitioned to the next phase of his career, and how time off lead to his current interests
- James’s experience with self-defense instruction, as well as working with the Navy Seals and various branches of law enforcement
- What events lead James’s to transitioning to a plant-based diet & how he made the transition
- What did James learn from researching the processing and effects of poultry consumption, grass-fed beef, and eggs
- What are the things James & those proponents of the Paleo diet agree upon
- James discusses some of the myths associated with grain and soy consumption
- James walks us through his current diet and shares how some of those who consume a plant-based diet get it wrong