Episode 60: The A.S.S man himself! Top strength coach Jay Ashman on real strength training
Jay Ashman http://ashmanstrength.com is an Ohio-based strength coach that started lifting weights in high school after his mom told him, “you should start to lift and fill out more.”
His training background is a mix of experience via an NFL workout in 1998 with the Browns, Division 1 & 2 rugby, Strongman contests, Highland Games and even dabbling in CrossFit for a stint.
Despite not having an extensive formal education about exercise science (aside from a 2 year degree as a Physical Therapist Assistant), Jay's Ashman Strength System, his transparency on and offline, has helped many of those who follow or work with him, exceed their training goals.
Jay joins Mike & Sincere on episode #60 to discuss:
- Jay shares his fitness journey from growing up a skinny kid to Crossfit, to the Highland Games, and to his current bodybuilding-based regimen
- Pop Tarts, Peanut Butter & coaches giving advice clients advice that they don't follow
- What is the only highlight you will find in Wooster, Ohio
- Jay shares how certain injuries turned him away from Crossfit, how he become a Crossfit-hater, and how he feels about Crossfit now
- MuscleMag magazine reached out to Jay, regarding Bulletproof Coffee. What exactly did he say?
- Jay shares how he responds to potential clients or fitness pros who question his credibility, despite not having a degree in kinesiology or a C.S.C.S.
- Jay discusses the problem with Facebook-related training research
- Jay shares his experience with Deficit Deadlift training & whether if there is any real benefit to it, or is it just another training distraction
- How does Jay respond to folks who say "they get bored at the gym"
- How Jay really feels about the "Gym-selfie" revolution
- Jay discusses his training program, The A.S.S. Book, what it is, what it isn't, as well as who has benefited from it (http://ashmanstrength.com/the-ashman-strength-system-ebook/)
- How does Jay utilize providing free content to help build his following and brand
- What are the 3 most important words in the world, and why it's probably not what you think
- Mike shares what is the greatest form of strength & why you should practice it everyday
- Mike & Sincere share what "really" scares them
- What is the real problem with using sarcasm
- Mike & Sincere share their real feeling concerning fraternities, sororities, and hazing
- What would Tupac sound like if he were of Indian descent? Mike happily answers that question