Thriving with optimal thyroid hormones (T3, T4, TSH)
- Thyroid hormones are made by the thyroid at the base of the neck.
- Production is 90% T4 Thyroxine and only 10% active T3 triiodothyronine
- The pituitary gland in the brain starts the process by releasing TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone).
- Some T4 is then converted into the more bioactive T3 (3-5 times as active)
- T3 helps every cell in the body produce the energy molecule ATP
- Thyroid hormones boost metabolic rate, increases blood circulation which augments nutrients, oxygen, water, and hormones to cells all over the body.
- Thyroid hormones help keep the body warm and muscles and joints healthy and pain-free.
- Protects the brain, heart, kidneys, digestive and immune system.
- Increases fat burning
- Helps eliminates cholesterol which helps open up the arteries and improves blood pressure.
Symptoms of low thyroid (Dr. Delgado and Dr. Thierry Hertoghe)
- Cold or swollen hands and feet
- Excessive sensitivity to cold
- Puffy face
- A tendency to gain weight
- Difficulty losing fat
- Morning fatigue
- Low energy and sex drive
- More fatigue after resting
- Passing out when at rest
- Poor memory and concentration
- Brittle nails, aging skin, slow hair growth
- Dry hair
- Swollen eyelids
- Joint pain
Improving levels of thyroid hormones
- Consume a fiber-rich diet as fibers attract heavy metals, mercury toxins, and help flush them out
- A diet rich in fruit nourishes the Thyroid. Dr. Hertoghe stated he was able to lower his dosage of thyroid hormones after increasing fruit consumption
- Address estrogen dominance as excess estrogen interferes with thyroid function (Dr. Nick Delgado)
- Eat 2-3 brazil nuts daily to improve selenium levels. No more than 200mcg per day as too much lowers thyroid function.
- Add a teaspoon of kelp to meals to increase iodine levels
- Consume hemp seeds and pumpkin seeds to acquire zinc
- Take Udo's oil or milled flaxseeds, chia seeds, and hemp seeds for essential fatty acids.
- Take 1-3 grams of the amino acid tyrosine to boost sluggish thyroid hormone production.
- Ashwagandha converts T4 into the more active T 3 at 500mg per day
- For an overactive thyroid use lemon balm extract to regulate levels.
TSH Thyroid stimulating hormone
Men 0.27 to 4.2 miu/ml 2.235miu.ml
Women 0.27 to 4.2 miu/ml 2.235miu/ml
Men 0.9 to 1.7 ng/dl 1.3ng/dl ideal
Women 0.9 to 1.7 ng/dl 1.3ng/dl ideal
Men 1.8 to 4.6pg/dl, ideal 3.2pg/ml
Women 1.8 to 4.6pg/dl, ideal 3.2pg/ml
The Hormone solution, Dr. Thierry Hertoghe
Traumatic Brain Injury, Dr. Mark Gordon